South Africa culture is one of the major attractions to the country as it is rich and so diverse it has been called the rainbow nation. South Africa culture differs substantially from area to area and there are numerous commercial cultural villages where tourists can learn about each South Africa culture. But to experience true South Africa culture you need to venture away from these hubs.
In the northern reaches of South Africa are the Soutpansberg Mountains and Venda which is one of the least visited areas of the country by tourists. This makes it a totally un-commercialised region where you can experience true authentic culture.
South Africa Culture: Venda
Visiting Venda, situated in the Limpopo Province of South Africa, is a truly captivating experience, filled with mystical forests, sacred lakes, water spirits, stunning scenery and world-famous crafts. The Venda culture is steeped in the spirit world and finds expression in their woodcarvings, pottery and the decoration of their buildings.
Also making this area exciting is that it is bordered by the Kruger National Park and Mapungubwe National Park as well as being a gateway into Botswana. Ideally situated to explore this region is Mashovhela Lodge.
Learn more about the Venda Culture.
South Africa Culture: Zulu
Out of the 11 official languages in South Africa, Zulu is the mother tongue of about 25% of South Africans and is understood by almost half of the total population and hence forms a major part of South Africa’s culture.
The home of the Zulus is in the province of KwaZulu Natal where you will find this culture is still much alive.
KwaZulu Natal is also home to the largest population of Indians outside of India.
South Africa Culture: Whites
The largest portion of the white population in South Africa originated initially from the Netherlands and Britain. The Afrikaners, who descended from the Dutch settlers, form in the region of 60% of the white population with many of the remaining 40% being of British descent.
In combination with beautiful scenery and amazing wildlife, culture makes South Africa special. The warm and friendly people and the contrasting South Africa culture is what you really should experience.
Soutpansberg Accommodation | Eco-friendly Accommodation South Africa | Venda Culture | Louis Trichardt Accommodation